Any piece of equipment from a simple can opener to a complex computer needs regular maintenance to ensure it works properly and performs optimally when needed. This applies to heating equipment as well.
Your furnace and heating equipment require servicing once per year. This process includes an inspection and cleaning that can detect and fix potential problems before they become expensive repairs. It also involves tuning up the heating system so it runs at peak efficiency when needed.
Regular maintenance for your heating equipment should consist of:
- Vacuuming and cleaning of the combustion area, exhaust tubes, passages and the smoke pipe to the chimney or direct vent.
- Cleaning the appliance burner and replacing the nozzle.
- Checking and cleaning the nozzle assembly, electrodes, transformer and cad cell (fire eye).
- Replacing the oil filter(s).
- Inspecting the oil tank.
- Inspecting the oil line from the oil tank to the burner of each appliance in your home.
- If you have a warm air furnace, checking the fan motor and air filter. The fan area should be vacuumed (if needed) and the motor oiled if applicable. This is a good time to replace your air filter(s).
- Inspecting the chamber & combustion area as well as the coil, circulator(s), zone valve(s) and flow valve(s).
- We also wipe down the exterior, your equipment will work better after the maintenance and will also look good!
- Finally, conducting a co2 test, efficiency test, smoke test, draft test and checking all the safeties.
At Scotia Fuels, this service is included in your oil price per litre. We recommend all customers contact us once a year to have the annual maintenance done. This does not need to be done in the fall, it can be done at any time of the year. Scotia Fuels also provides oil pans to our customers for your burner and oil filters at no charge.
Want to see what a furnace looks like without regular maintenance? Watch one of our expert technicians in this video.